-> Knowledge Base
Description of Template
The Knowledge Base SharePoint template provides a place where team members can upload and tag documents so that others can more easily find and learn from others in their organization. The template can be utilized in a ‘top down’ approach, where a centralized knowledge department ‘pushes down’ relevant content to the rest of the business. Or, the template can be used in a ‘bottom up’ approach, where knowledge is captured by all users as a normal part of doing business which can then be disseminated to others within the organization. All documents and articles in the Knowledge Base can have keywords associated with them and can also link to related documents, standardizing and simplifying the process of locating relevant information.
Activities Performed in this Application Template
- Upload single or multiple files into the document library.
- Automated version control and version restore capabilities protect against accidentally writing over critical work while tracking who makes changes to both the document and properties.
- Enable users to ‘check out’ the document for offline editing. While the document is checked out, other users can open a read-only copy, but cannot edit and save changes.
- Designate version as a “Major Revision”, which allows users to enter notes regarding the revision. When viewing previous versions, Windows SharePoint Services designates the revision as a major version alerting users to its status.
- Search the Knowledge Base using the built in search capabilities of Windows SharePoint Services.
- View a dashboard with a filtered view of Recent Additions, Recent Changes and Relevant Items.
- Automated workflow to create a keyword, upload a document and “Write an Article”, which simplifies the end user learning curve for common Knowledge Base actions.
- Tag a Knowledge Base document with relevant keywords and provide links to related documents which can be used to sort and search for relevant knowledge base articles.
Site Lists and Libraries
Knowledge Base: A list used to write and store Knowledge Base Articles and Documents to be shared with the team.
Announcements: Use the Announcement list to post messages to the home page of your site.
Keywords: Use the list to manage the keywords that are required to tag items in your Knowledge Base.
There are also custom forms that enable users to perform common actions. This includes writing a new Knowledge Base article directly within Windows SharePoint Services using this Wiki web part.